For pressure cooking dal:
¾ cup whole black urad dal / sabut urad dal
¼ cup kidney beans / rajma
water for soaking
3 cups water, for pressure cooking
salt to taste
For Dal Makhani:
1-2 tbsp ghee / clarified butter
1 bay leaf / tej patta
2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
½ tsp turmeric powder
one large onion, finely chopped
salt to taste
2 Tsp titbit Dal makhni masala
1 cup water, or as required
2 tbsp fresh cream, or as required
few coriander leaves, chopped
1 tbsp ghee / clarified butter
¾ tsp kashmiri red chilli powder, optional
¼ tsp garam masala, optional
Pressure cooking dal:
- Take 1 cup of black urad dal and ¼ cup of rajma in a large bowl.
- Add enough water and soak overnight or at least for 8 hours. Rinse the dal in a running water and transfer into a cooker. Add 3 cups of water. Add some salt to taste.
- Close the lid and pressure cook on medium flame for 5 whistles or till the dals are cooked completely.
Dal Makhani Recipe:
- In a large kadai add a tbsp of ghee and saute bay leaf for a minute. or till they turn fragrant.
then add finely chopped onions and saute till they change in colour.
- Once onions are done, add ginger-garlic paste. saute till raw smell disappears completely.
Now add chopped tomatoes and cook till they are soft.
- Add tit-bit Dal Makhani Masala and cook the masala for a minute.
- Once the masalas start releasing oil from sides, add cooked dal and give a good stir.
Adjust the consistency by adding 1cup of water or as required. Boil for 15 minutes or more till the dal absorbs flavour and turns thick.
- To get the creamy texture, add 2 tbsp of fresh cream. You can also skip or increase the amount of cream according to your preference.
- Top up with fresh coriander leaves.